Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Having a Heavenly Gaze

There has been much on my mind lately but a singular theme running through all the things that are on my mind is "What is the purpose of my life?" "what do I want to do with my life?" or "why am I living my life?" I am kinda at a fork in the road with my life at the moment and with my recent trip to Ethiopia, I have had many things come flying in my face making me question what I want to do with my life. Sure, I can always do what people are telling me to do and go off to college and get a degree, get married, start a family and live life from there and that is a viable option and I don't think there is anything wrong with that life (if you are doing that). I don't think that is what I want to do with my life though. Life is so short, I don't want to spend long hours in a class room listening to a guy talk to me about things that I could spend 3 days reading about and then understand it just as well. That doesn't sound like a good use of my time or money cuz college is expensive!
No, when I grow old, I want to look back on my life, at least on the years that I was a christian, and be able to say that I spent them as well as I could and that I maximized my time. I want to live so that my focus is on heaven and eternity to come and not be thinking about my grades or pay check or whatever. Life is short and if you are running with your eyes on the ground, the finish line is going to come up on you and you aren't going to realize it but you will be at the end before you know it. I want to run so that I know when the end is and that I do my best so as to not waste my time.
If we focus on the end and the finish, we will live our lives differently then if we focus on the now and try to get our life in order before serving God (which is what many people think they should do first), or we could not even be thinking about serving God and totally waste our lives. I want to live for heaven yet I feel that at this exact point in time, I'm falling and not having any traction on the course. I want to do something yet I feel that I am swimming and going no where. It is a very hard position for me to be in because I like to be doing something. I like to be accomplishing things yet I'm not really. I'm on pause when I want to be on fast forward. Oh well though, God is good and all I must do is to keep my eyes towards heaven, learn as much as I can, impact all those who are around me, and enjoy the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment