Monday, January 19, 2009

resolved

looking back on my life, i would say that the majority of what i did to have fun when i was young, was foolish, banal things that i now regret investing so much time into them. the thing that i most invested time in, that i most excused would be sleep. though it is essential to the body, the amount that i take in is not needed to the extent that i indulge it. another would be tv/video games/movies, of which i was squandered so much time on, that it is still amazing that i can actually think somewhat intelligently. so, instead, now i would like to spend more time doing things that i think will profit me in some way, either spiritually, mentally, or to have at least some measure of good entertainment. i would like to spend my time on studying the bible, reading spiritual literature, and playing the piano. the first two, i believe, fall under the first 2 categorizes, while playing the piano falls under the 3rd. one other thing that i will indulge in would be the reading of non-spiritual books, and that is simple for academic reasons, so that i can hopefully enhance my writing more and more. 

i am sure that i will have times where i fall back into doing the carnal things of this world, though i do hope that the general theme of my life is towards Christ and His kingdom. all those who read this, i hope you will work to keep me accountable to this cause and to also challenge yourself to further the kingdom; for we can not teach others what we ourselves do not know. 

3 comments:

  1. Piano will benefit you mentally, and it is a discipline, which I tell my students helps with all of life. I relate it to reading the Bible, because it takes discipline to do both. We want to do all excellently and to the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someone (wise) once told me the greatest writers never took a creative writing class - they READ. That switched my track from creative writing to English.

    The greats also studied languages, which is why I've studied Spanish, Italian, and French. They knew grammar, rhetoric, and people. Keep reading, and discipline yourself to read *good* books, not just entertaining ones. Unfortunately (or fortunately...?) it means you get far less pleasure from the banal books. Like - now that I have read Piper and Spurgeon, I just can't go back to Lucado. So, things like Eragon or Crichton are interesting, but nothing compares to Tale of Two Cities or Dostoevsky's works (talk about some brain steak!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey leila,
    yeah, i am trying to read harder books to help my writing. currently, i'm reading "the master of ballantrae" by robert louis stevenson. i like his style of writing, so that is why i picked it. i would agree though that all reading can't be just for pleasure, so i'm working on that

    ReplyDelete